Think local. Act global. Learn more about the Peace Corps

Sunday, October 16, 2011

Sleeping on the Porch

This is the third night in Saponé and Kellynn and I, along with the rest of our family, have resorted to sleeping outside in our bug hut because it’s too fucking hot inside the house. I’m sitting here with my little brother Ephram and his aunt who are doing some population graphing homework for school tomorrow. This evening we taught Ephram and his friends poker (sort of) and crazy eights and they in turn taught us a few games, one of which was called “Marriage” and was very fun. Communication is still not easy, but the initial ice has broken to the point at which I no longer feel too afraid of making a fool of myself to talk. I also don’t laugh and get laughed at every time I try to form a sentence. Which is good.

Classes are okay, though I wish we were getting started with the French and Mooré lessons already. I’m really not worried about anything else. Not really. All these administrative sessions and group-retreat type things are strange, unexpected and frankly bullshit. At this point I need practical. Anyway, I’m sure it will come quickly.

So, notre famille; Les Ilboudo. The mother, though she speaks quickly and is more comfortable with Mooré than French, is an amazing hostess and has a beautiful, booming laugh. Tonight she taught us how to wash our clothes (we’re such American children). Our father I believe works for the state as the president of some association. ..or something like that…and thus keeps strange hours. We’ve only dined with him twice. However, last night the power went out all night and we sat on the porch and he taught us some Mooré with Ephram, both speaking slowly and clearly with the utmost patience. And Ephram, dear Ephram. A few moments ago, a huge, decorous dragonfly alighted upon the mosquito net in front of us and he caught me staring. He asked me a question to which I supplied my stock reply of “oui” and in the moment between me answering and him squashing the thing I remembered what “Tu as peur?” meant. The gesture, however, remains the same. He wants to and insists on helping with everything and is already and instinctively protective. He’s a true brother, but I hope this doesn’t mean he’ll be killing any insect that gets near me.

1 comment:

  1. Please don't look at the dragonfly's,,,,,,

    ReplyDelete