Think local. Act global. Learn more about the Peace Corps

Sunday, June 10, 2012

Le Tour de Burkina 2012


Greetings from Burkina, family and friends and readers!

I'm writing to inform you of the 3rd edition of the annual PC Burkina Bike Tour, kicking off on August 29th. This year the tour will cover 1500 km of Burkina's finest paved, semi-paved, and dirt roads, visiting 30 volunteer's sites over the course of 24 days. I will be (attempting to) ride the whole way on my Peace Corps issued Trek Mountain Bike. Wish me luck!

While seeing this country, getting in shape, and visiting volunteers' sites are the major perks for riders in the tour, the main goal is to raise money to fund Gender and Development projects for the upcoming year. In years past the tour has raised almost $6000 and this year we hope to top that. Examples of projects funded in the past by bike tour include providing the start-up costs to a women's group for an independent income-generating activity, and youth camps, such as the one which I will be helping run this summer in Ouahigouya.

If you're one of those who has always wished to donate to a worthy cause but were unsure how the money would be spent, now is your chance! ALL donations go straight to community projects. There are no administrative expenses (we are volunteers after all). Each full-time rider, like me, is encouraged to raise at least $150 before the tour starts. That's only $0.10 per Kilometer! A little bit goes a long way here, and it's all tax-deductible. For more information on the bike tour and how to donate, please visit the bike tour blog at http://www.burkinabiketour.blogspot.com/.

Thanks and love

5 comments:

  1. Dan, if you are riding 1500 KM, $150 is like $0.10 per KM... $10 per KM would be $15,000. A worthy goal indeed. I am donating to cover either one or 100 or your kilometers, depending what your goal is. What is this about KG coming home? How do I get ahold of her? Your old numbers are rubbish now and all I have is some antiquated email address from Regis.... Let me know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is KG. You can reach me at kellynngates@gmail.com

      How are you? Where are you?

      Delete
    2. This is Dan. Wow. I'm terrible at math. How are you doing man? Looks like KG gave you her email and she has a new phone number that I probably shouldn't post here.

      Delete
  2. Sorry Dan but I really have no $$$ to spare right now. Good luck with your ride :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dan...I can't donate on that page, am I too late? I'd really like to give some money to your organization, but when I click the map, it says "404 error".

    I am just now catching up on your blog, it sounds like you're up to some amazing stuff with the band and the bike tour, can't wait to hear more!

    Miss and love you,
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete